Whether you’re a seasoned writer, blogger or entrepreneur, your web copy is the most crucial selling point for communicating an enormous amount about the brand personality and the value behind your products and services. In a nutshell, your web copy is the written information you share on your website. There’s an art to writing in a way that gently persuades an audience to purchase a product or to hire your service.
“You cannot bore people into buying a product, you can only interest them in buying it.” David Ogilvy – The grandfather of modern marketing.
If you’re ready to supercharge your web copy to get more customers with these 9 incredibly powerful tools to improve your writing and marketing efforts, let’s get started.
The most empowering tool is knowledge. Learn to write an effective copy that sells by appealing to human emotion to generate interest and bring in high-quality leads. After this lesson, you won’t have to hire a copywriter to speak directly to your client to tell them what your products and services can do for them.
Are You Ready To Transform Your Web Pages?
If you look around the web, you’ll discover many businesses talk bout themselves and what their products do, risking the chance of making their branding voice sound self-centred. Rarely do they mention what their products or services can do for you.
Your business needs clients. So let’s start telling them what your product or service does for them.
First, you will learn basic copywriting skills to improve your landing pages and marketing efforts by enabling you to rewrite them in a way that makes sense to potential clients. The copywriting method resonates with others on a deep and meaningful level.
Let’s get into the first tool!
What Is Copywriting?
Competitive businesses have cottoned onto the value of good copywriting. Copywriting is a highly sought after skill in the business world to harness the power of persuasive writing for creating emotional connections to brands, products or services that often result in compelling the client to take action. It helps a business sell smarter and faster. The skillfully crafted content in copywriting is far removed from direct selling, which tends to focus solely on writing about features. Copywriting instead determines the benefits of purchasing products and services. Benefits are what the client values most. The method I’m going to teach you will help you to address and resolve your target audience’s primary pain points.
Learn To Formulate Your Copy By Using The “So What?” Method
This basic copywriting skill will teach you how easy it is to formulate your web copy. By the end of this exercise, you will be able to communicate to your target audience how your products or service may improve their lives. Below is an example of how content can be polished by highlighting the benefits of each key feature.
Hypothetical – I have a pretend vacuum cleaner with a made-up name:
The ORKA Mark II. (Any reference to an existing product is purely coincidental) Below I created a key features list of my imaginary product.
- colour choices
- a bagless barrel
- powerful suction
Avoid boring your clients by stating the obvious. e.g. “my vacuum cleaner is affordable, lightweight has a bagless barrel and powerful suction. Buy it now!.” They already know this information. They need to know why they should buy your product. In the example below I will show you how to extract the benefits of each feature by asking, “So what?”
Next, I asked of each feature repetitively, “So What?”
This is where you ask, “Why do I need it?” and “What can it do for me?” and, “What do I get out of it?”
- lightweight – So What? It won’t break my back; I can cart it around with ease and take it to places with me.
- colour choices – So What? less chance of being stuck with an ugly colour that doesn’t match my decor
- bagless barrel – So What? the potential to not waste money on bags, washable removable barrels and filters
- powerful suction – So What? a strong motor potentially means better cleaning power
- affordable – So What? it won’t break the bank; I can probably buy one now
Using the answers above, I was able to write about the benefits to tell others why they should buy my product.
The value-packed ORKA Mark II is an economical, yet incredibly powerful vacuum cleaner that moves easily with you into each room. Available in a range of colours to suit your personal style.
Exercise. Try to rewrite this sentence using the features and benefits above.
Start Writing Your First Web Copy
Before you get started, I urge you to conduct your keyword research to find the most competitive keywords in your niche before embarking on writing for your business. Use those keywords to create a keyword-rich web copy. The tools below can help you get started.
Making Your Web Copy Visible On Search Engine Results
No matter how impressive your copywriting skills are, without SEO your content writing efforts will prove fruitless. WordPress users will need to install, activate and configure an SEO plugin, entering SEO information such as headlines, snippets, categories, products, tags, image names and alt tags, page or post content and in your URL. SEO information is to be entered on your home pages, and also on every page and post to appear on search engine results. Without SEO on your website, you may as well start packing up the office. SEO is at the heart of copywriting as it connects your website to the search engine telling it what to look for.
8 More Tools
Keep these tools handy to use for your copywriting.
- Ubbersuggest. Before writing your web copy, research the best and most popular keywords to rank for in your niche. Try It’s a free keyword research tool by Neil Patel.
- All In One SEO Pack – Free plugin Possibly the most powerful free WordPress SEO plugin on the market, this free version is sufficient to supercharge your SEO with the keywords you used to create your keyword-rich content. Use their beginners guide for instructions on how to get started.
- Answer The Public Add your keyword to this very nifty search listening tool for content writing and marketing ideas. The online app harnesses the power of popular keywords and searches terms entered into the Google Search engine. One to add to your copywriting, content polishing and marketing toolbelt!
- Grammarly For serious writers, beginners and pros. Check your grammar and spelling with this powerful free and paid tool. Use the browser app for practicality. Add the Grammarly for Chrome Extension.
- Speech To Text Notepad A voice-activated speech to text voice recognition dictating software to help you take notes, and to boost your productivity and voice type anywhere simply by speaking.
- Readable A WebFX tool to analyse the readability of your work by simply adding your website link.
- Blog Post Idea Generator The blog post generator online tool by WebFX can help eradicate your writer’s block by generating topic ideas for your next blog.
- Headline Analyzer Pro Trial CoSchedule Increase the effectiveness of your headlines with this tool by adding your headline. The tool offers suggestions and has a thesaurus to help you rewrite a more compelling headline. Take it for a test drive. You’ll be glad you did.
Now you’ve got everything you need to get started, you can try writing killer headlines and a web copy that nails it every time. If you’d like to learn copywriting skills. Tamsin Henderson is an excellent teacher with courses on Udemy.
Till next time. Sandra.