While WordPress.com is a great platform in many ways, below are some reasons why growth minded entrepreneurs may not benefit from the free website do-it-yourself platform.
- You can’t install plugins or themes to customise your site as they’re not available on their platform unless you pay for their expensive business plan.
- On the free plan, your site is placed under a subdomain (yoursitename/wordpress.com). This site will include wordpress.com ads and their hosting is expensive.
- Your disk space is limited to 3GB of data.
- You can’t monetise your blog or website
A self-hosted WordPress website offers a lot of potential
- Flexibility – use premium themes, add plugins to enhance functionality for improved design options and customisations. A far better option for online stores and membership sites.
- Portability – your choice of web hosting provider with the ability to move your site from one web host to another. Plans differ from one web host to another. Most web hosting providers offer the choice of 3 web hosting plans or more.
- Scalability – enlarge and enhance your website as your business grows.
All the above makes WordPress.org the superior choice for serious bloggers and business owners.
Web Hosting Providers
- 100% Australian Web Hosting Providers List – Choose from reputable Australian companies to support local. Compare their plans and be surprised by their affordability and the quality of products and services on offer.
- Blue Host – Recommended by WordPress, Blue Host offers affordable, reliable, and secure shared web hosting plans. Plans listed in $AUD.
- SiteGround – Managed WordPress hosting. Affordable multisite options for their Growbig and GoGeek plans offer awesome value for entrepreneurs. However, their StartUp plan is sufficient for bloggers who can later upgrade if more disk space is required. No Multisite option is offered on the StartUp plan. Plans listed in $AUD
The Portability of WordPress.org
WordPress.org offers a portable CMS with way more options than it's little sister at WordPress.com. It can be installed directly onto a server, be migrated to other web hosts and be designed offline. Click To Tweet The WordPress Content Management System (CMS) can be installed with the push of a button using installation software which is often readily available various web hosting plans. WordPress can also be installed on local machine right on your desktop. Developing WordPress locally can be done without the internet and a completed WordPress website design can also be uploaded to your server using FTP. This method is popular for those who build their website locally and on their desktop using a local machine such as Local By Flywheel, MAMP, or XXAMP. When working on a live WordPress Website, I encourage the use of a ‘Coming Soon’ page or plugin before design work begins, which can be removed at the completion of your setup and design.
Web Design Option
WordPress freelancers like myself can design premium websites you’ll be proud to show others your work from on any theme. However, with a WordPress premium Divi Theme by Elegant Themes, with its drag and drop features the design possibilities are endless. There are thousands of free themes available online for your blog. However, I highly recommend the use of premium themes which allow for updates and support. ACT Websites gives clients an option to access the Divi Theme from Elegant Themes for free with a lifetime of free updates under my license and conditions to be included with all new sites I design. Alternatively, the better choice is for clients to purchase their own Elegant Themes Membership entitling them to download and use all Elegant Theme products and receive support from Elegant Themes. In this video Matt Cutts from Google endorses WordPress as being great for Search Engine Optimisation.